Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Home ideas...

So today I had a professional organizer come into my home. I am the worst when it comes to being organized. I decided to take the plunge and invest in this. So far, I am feeling pretty motivated. We cleaned out my entry way closet, organized some of the kitchen, and discussed decorating my house.
I like our house, but I have never loved the way things look. I have no decorating abilities, and what I want is to have is maximized us of our space. Having four kids has made this a necessity in my mind. The goal is to organize & create a cozy home that I am proud of.
I have so many thoughts running through my head. Melissa, the organizer, was great to work with. In fact, we brainstormed a lot about what we could do to make things look better. I will keep you all posted on the developments!

On another note, I need some of your advice. I just invested a lot of money in new bedding. I splurged on a duvet, down comforter, sheets, decorative pillows, a decorative blanket, and shames. Let's put it this way: we are going to Vegas for less than this bedding. The sad part is that it's a solid color: gray. I am not into florals or anything. I like simple but sophisticated. My question for you loyal readers is what color paint should we go with? Do we go green for a warmer look? Gold/yellow for a warm look? Gray for a monochromatic look? Those are the colors that have been recommended. I don't want red/mauve/violet or anything like that. I am not opposed to a blue color, but I seem to have a lot of blue in the house.

Any ideas?

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Okay first of all what are shames:)? Secondly, nothing warm with gray, I would also not do gray unless it is a gray that almost looks white. We painted out bedroom this blue that almost looks white and I love it, I think that it would look amazing with gray. Kris also painted her old bathroom a violet that almost looked white and that would go well too. Look for a color that your bedding will pop off and have some definition with. I love to decorate!!!

TBRKO said...

What is the color & brand of your paint?
Kris if you are out there...help too!

Anonymous said...

I liKE Melissa's idea of doing a real light color to make your new bedding stand out. I think you want the bed to be the focal point in your room.


I also agree that trying to use a warm color with the way would be a contrast, and you wouldn't get a sense of the room feeling right.
Tami

Jenay said...

this is what i do! I looke through the pottery barn & room and board catalogs to get ideas of what i like. Then, i go to my friends at hirsfields and they have awesome designers that will consult for free. Bring your pillow shams and the paint choices that you like form the catelogs and they will help you decide. They actually carry the pottery barn paint colors now. I believe the spring line just came out. Good Luck!

Jenay said...

I really can spell bonnie, but when i blog from my blackberry it's pretty bad.

Kris said...

Yep, I did a really light light lavender in my bathroom that looked great and I would definitely use it in a bedroom. I tend to like lighter colors though so thats just my opinion. My house is either really light or bright colors. I like an airy and open feeling. I always used the Behr (sp?) brand from Home Depot or True Value in Mhd also has a good brand that I used in the condo I'm in now. It's much easier than driving all the way to Home Depot if you run out!

Unknown said...

Behr and True Value-same as Kris