Friday, December 4, 2009

the long version

Last night after I dropped off Kate and Kailee at dance, I bathed Olivia and Brady. I also put away four or so loads of laundry, unloaded the dishwasher, got the kids out of the tub, and wrestled Brady to get him dressed. He and I were headed downstairs to the kitchen to read a couple books. I had the 25 lb boy in one hand and a couple of books in the other. I misjudged the last step, fell, heard a little pop, and fell hard. Poor Brady did too. He started screaming, and I realized I was like the lady in the "I've fallen and can't get up commercials."
I immediately called my mommy to come over. Then I kept trying to call Thad, but I couldn't get through to him. I called my friend & trainer Stacey, and she told me to ice my foot and elevate it. Only I couldn't get to the ice...or move at all for that matter.
My mom came, helped me get ice, and I somehow got on the couch. I called Thad, and from what I described, he told me to get to the ER. I called big Wayne out of a meeting to take me. Ryan then returned from hockey, and Kate arrived from dance. My mom and Jo kindly took over with the kids, while Wayne and I headed at a snail's pace to the ER. (My dad drives 25 on a good day, but the ice brought him down to 15).I thought I was going to freak out.
I got a wheelchair to get into the ER and began waiting. When the doctor arrived, he said that by the looks of it, I probably tore some ligaments, but he said it's highly unlikely to break your foot from twisting your foot. He still did an xray just in case. After who knows how long, he came in and said, "Well you broke it." I said, "Shut up! Sorry I don't mean that in a bad way." He explained that I chipped off some bone in the top of my foot. He would hook me up with a boot and crutches. I would have to see a podiatrist to see what course of treatment I would take.
So we drive/coast in neutral home. I get out of the car and splat. I felt right on the ice. Boy did that hurt! Dang ice and crutches do not mix well.
My mother, bless her heart, offered to come in the morning. I went to bed. Ryan came in during the night, let out Maggie, and covered me up with an extra blanket. Dang I love when my kids are sweet.....
In the morning I showered (how I don't know), dressed, etc. After my mom dropped off my little kids at daycare, she brought me to school. (this is my right foot btw) I get off the elevator and hit a patch of water. splat again.
Later on in my second class splat again. By now I am getting cranky. I had been so positive until that point. I told the kids that it could always be worse--and it most certainly can. But by lunch, I had a little tear festival with myself.
Tonight Thad is home. I have been hobbling on my foot a little even though I am not supposed to. My hands are swollen as are my arms from the crutches.
This weekend is going to be tough. Thad and I have some serious figuring out to do. He will take the girls to skating. Then Kate has a performace, Ryan has his first traveling hockey game on his birthday, and Olivia has a recital tomorrow evening. I will go to it all. Sunday Ryan and Thad head to Grand Forks. I am not sure where I will be. I can't very well be in charge of Brady no matter where I am. I can't lift him or do much of anything. Time will tell.
On Monday, I will see a podiatrist. Let's hope he can get me in a walking boot. The ER doctor said he didn't think I would need surgery (WTF?), and I am banking on that.
Through it all, though, these things have kept me happy:
Ryan snuggling with me.
Olivia waking up this morning immediately saying, "mommy I prayed for you last night."
Kate getting every little thing.
Brady smiling as always.
My MOTHER for dealing with Brady even though she shouldn't lift him due to her hip. Did I mentioned she tripped and fell last night over a hockey stick? Nice huh?
My mother in law for offering to keep the kids longer today.
My students for being so sweet through it all....yes they laughed when I bit it, but so did I.
My hubby for coming home knowing he will be dealing with one heck of a load.
I have actually bought and wrapped most of my presents.

So, once again, I am trying my hardest to live my one of my favorite mottos: When you get lemons, make lemonade. I could use some spiked lemonade right about now.

6 comments:

Melissa said...

Oh Bonnie, that is too bad!!!! Caring for a household is challenging enough without a broken foot on top of it!
You're doing well to keep your cool. I confess I don't do well in these types of situations myself!

Getting back to me said...

I hope you heal quickly Bonnie!

Holly

Anonymous said...

Be careful, Bonnie! I broke my foot once and in my wisdom and independence to do everything myself, fell and broke my toe on my other foot! Please take it easy and let others help you out.

Elizabeth

Dr. J said...

Lemonade + sprite + gin = cure all
~R

Unknown said...

I just can't get over this, Bonnie. I'm so sorry you're going through it all. Kris and I are both thinking of you often and sending good thoughts your way to make it through another drama!

Erin said...

Sorry--don't know why blogger is signing me in under Kris's name. erin