Thursday, October 29, 2009

Nostalgia


Tonight after a long day at work, scrambling to get Olivia (and Brady) to and from dance, dropping them off at my friend Jenny's tonight, and a quick change of shoes, I sped to MSUM for a dinner/lecture.
I am enrolled in a grant called Teach American History. It's a federally funded grant to give history teachers the opportunity to work with other teachers in the region, travel to various places, read historical books, and just plain learn more about history.
The kickoff dinner tonight was at the Comstock Memorial Union at MSU. If you were any sort of my childhood, you know that at a young age, my dad and I took several walks a week there to get candy. In college, I spent many a day there, eating their FABULOUS monster cookies, 'studying,' hanging out with friends, eating a Pizza Hut personal pan pizza daily, and attending Gamma Phi meetings.
Since college, I have only been back a handful of times: during Master's research, meetings for Homecoming, or whatever random reason I needed to go.
Tonight as I walked in, I instantly had a wave of nostalgia come over me. The sights, sounds, and smells were all too familiar. After dinner, we walked to the new Biology building to sit in on a guest lecturer from Auburn State in AL. My goodness sitting in a lecture hall brought back memories!
I can't begin to tell you what a big part of my life college and MSUM were. The classes, the stress, the friends, the drama, the fun, the Gamma Phi house, and everything else rolled into one came to me tonight when I was back at my alma mater. I miss it. I miss learning, studying, cramming, staying up late, rolling into class looking gross after a late night inspiration week with Gamma Phi, meeting new people, and everything else associated with college life.
How quickly I moved to the next phase of life after college. I got married, got a job, and got pregnant with Ryan within a year and a half. I remember just wanting to move to the next phase of my life. Looking back, it's sort of sad. Why don't we just stop to smell the roses? What was my rush?
I would love to take a few summer college classes as an adult just to learn. I want to take all those history courses again as a person who is truly interested in learning rather than taking the class to fulfill my required credits. In college, so many other things are going on that it's tough to really absorb all the information thrown at you. But let me tell you what: without a doubt, those were some of the best years.
A lot of times people around here say, "I'm just going to MSUM" like it's a bad thing. I am so impressed with all the changes that it's most certainly NOT a bad thing. MSUM is one fine institution. I would be so proud if my kids go there. Okay well Ryan can't, because he needs to go play some Division I sport so I don't have to pay for it! But, you get my drift.
Kate told me the other day that she doesn't want to go to college, because it will be boring. HA! There is nothing boring about those years. How do you explain to a seven year old that she will make many of her life long friends, grow into an adult, learn to see the world from a new perspective, grow intellectually and in maturity (hopefully), and become a more marketable woman all at the same time?
I fully realize my post is random in thought. I am tired, but I just wanted to share with you how good it felt to be back in college for the night. Now I am going to get ready for bed and fall asleep recalling some good old Dragon memories.

7 comments:

Erin said...

Awesome post, Bonnie. I smiled all the way through reading it. I miss college life, too--but the beauty of my job as a prof at MSUM is that I get glimpses students like you, living life, learning, stressing out, sharing their passion for (acting, writing, teaching, you name it). AND I get to be a part of that buzz of college life every single day--walking across the campus mall, buying a latte, eating at the CMU. Without a doubt, the best part of my workday is any time I can be with students: teaching, advising, or just visiting. I'm so glad you had a great time on campus tonight. There really is something magical about "those college years" and I don't think we fully appreciate them until they're over. Wanna take a class together sometime?

Anonymous said...

It's all so true...I was actually last night thinking about dorm life, college, friends I haven't seen in years, and how 10 years have now passed since I finished college and moved to the cities. Time does fly and I agree - those were some of the best years of my life! Hanno

Dr. J said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dr. J said...

One of your best posts by far imo. You must have been reading my mind as I was thinking along these same lines earlier this week. I was one of those that DID NOT stop and smell the roses in college and it's one of my only true regrets in life. With the possibility of not practicing if we move back to F-M I've thought VERY seriously of going back to school, how cool would that be? ;)
~R

TBRKO said...

Ryan are you telling me that you think my posts about my kids and the wacky things they say AREN'T as good? Jeez....
I would love to go back to school.
You know, I talked to my friend Kris last night, and I think she was feeling the same way (sort of) about high school when she was here at MHS last night.

Kris said...

I totally was feeling the same thing last night at the High school. So weird to see it through different eyes! The high schoolers all look like they are 10 and it's hard to believe I was ever in their shoes! Great post Bon...and again, thanks for the tip about the MHS Halloween carnival. Lucy and Isabelle had a blast.

Emily said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE those monster cookies!! There is just something about the CMU that brings the memories back rushing.