Saturday, March 6, 2010

consistency, consistency

I need to remind myself more often that even though things don't go according to my plan, it's best to stay consistent for the sake of all involved.
Example #1: Ryan had a game at 11:30am today. Brady, who was fussy after being awake for just two hours, was put down at 10am for a quick snooze. He still isn't up to par after having a double ear infection earlier this week. He is draining like crazy and oh so fussy.
At 11am, I got lunch started. Then the trantrum from Olivia began. It was a doozy. She was sent to her room. She came out. She was sent back. She came out. She was sent back and told that she will be napping as she had proven that she was much to tired to function appropriately. It was right after that I said it that I realized, "Oh crap, what am I going to do about Ryan's game?"
This is the story of my life, and I am sure yours as parents. We say one thing and in that instant we realize that we can either crawl our way out of it (which I have done more than once) or stick to our guns. Sure enough, Olivia came down after collecting herself, ate a quiet lunch, and fell asleep quickly.
The good that came out of this is that Brady ended up sleeping until 12:30. I was a little irked at the situation, but that is life with kids I guess. We might plan one thing, and many other things happen in their place.
Ryan had another game tonight at 7:15, but unfortunately uber fussy Brady was sound asleep at 6:45pm tonight. At least for tomorrow night I hired a sitter to watch Ryan AND Thad play against each other in a dads vs. kids game...

1 comment:

dani said...

Bonnie...we really need to get you writing in OTMOM. You pretty much hit the nail on the head in every blog post you make. Your honesty and humor is refreshing. Thanks for letting me poke my nose into your daily drama...I can SO relate!