Tuesday, June 16, 2009

I can't believe I forgot to acknowledge Kate's 7th birthday. I have a good reason though!
Thad got a case at around noon that day that kept him away from home until past 11pm that night. He worked on it all weekend, and is still working on it. Let's hope justice is served. That's all I can say about that.
Since I found out shortly before school was over that I was going to be in charge of our family festivities AND Ryan's baseball games that night, I adjusted my plans. The original plan was to pick up the kids, make brownies for Kate, get everyone fed, take Ryan to baseball, and bring the kids with me.
What actually happened was another story. As I began my block and a half drive to Jo's house, I realized I had a flat tire. Being the typical helpless female that I am when it involves things I am not familiar with, I called Thad. He, of course, can do nothing for me. My father is more helpless than I am (no offense dad if you read this). So I called our 'car guy,' and he told me who to call and what to ask for. The tow truck arrived, filled up my tire, and then I went to the car place.
Meanwhile, all this has taken about an hour. I called my mom to make brownies for Kate, because only a middle/second child would have the luck to get so screwed on her special day. I wasn't about to let that happen. Grandpa picked up Ryan since I had no way to get him to baseball. He brought him to my house to get his uniform and then to McDonalds for a nutritious meal. Turns out Ryan realized at my parents' house that he forgot his shoes. My stubborn dad wasn't going to go get them, until he realized Ryan was in a panic. Finding the shoes as per Ryan's directions was another mini disaster, but they were found.
The girls then begged to stay at Grandma Jo's until 7:30. So after the car drama, I ran home, let Brady take a power nap, ate, picked up my house for company, fed/nursed the B man, and went to baseball. Whew.
Kate and a lovely birthday, and an even lovelier birthday party that weekend. It was a "Frog" themed party, and all 20 or so kids had a great time.


2 comments:

Vicky said...

I am so glad I am not the only one to have days like this :) I am impressed though with how hard you worked to ensure Kate not getting "screwed" on her special day! That should make you feel good and by the looks of her smile she felt good too.

Erin said...

Whew! I hadn't heard this story yet. You made it through the evening with smiles and party fun intact. Way to go!