Monday, March 17, 2008

This is what I wrote to family, friends, and a couple colleagues today. I think only two or three people actually read this, but I thought you few and wonderful peeps might enjoy it.

Hello: Here is a little run down of Monday....
Had a darn nice breakfast and then we headed to our first electives of the day. I had wanted to do the National Archivies, but since I am a "first timer" here I sort of had to go to the walking tour of capital hill. Of course I froze my tail off being outside. Seems it doesn't matter where I am, I am a wimp. Anyway I got gallery passes from Rep. Peterson's office for Wed. As we headed to the Senate side, we decided to see a case being heard at the Supreme Court. We ended up waiting 45 minutes, got to the front of the line, and then were told that we couldn't get in. Oh well. There was already a forming line for tomorrow's big case: it's about the D.C. gun ban. It was neat to see people lined up. We only get "line ups" for x-boxes back home. I am going to try to get in Wed with the kids. You can take a 3-5 viewing and that would be fine with me. Just to say I got to see it would be cool.
By now we are a little late and are making our way to the meeting spot. We notice a problem: blocked streets, cops everywhere with their big huge guns hanging out (don't worry I got a pic), and the beginnings of a motorcade. Guess the Prime Minister of Ireland is in town. After a few minutes, a new motorcade goes by so I pull out my camera to video it. This time it was G.W. himself! A girl next to me saw him waving, but I didn't. I think I recorded myself swearing for missing him, but when I get home I will check to see what I really have. It was very cool nonetheless. **Now do I like Bush as Pres? Hardly, but to see any President is too cool to not appreciate.
Then we had lunch at the National Press Club. We had an excellent speaker from a PR firm.
Then we went to the brand new Newseum. Very, very cool. There was a 4-D movie (kind of like those fun Disney World ones), but the chairs also moved. It was just so cool.
We headed back to the hotel. Since I was starving, I went to the Crystal City shops underground--by myself--to eat and look around. A few teachers were going out later than I wanted to wait. Honestly I am taking in the quiet time.....
So that's it for today. Tomorrow we have a workshop at the Holocaust Museum. I guess we will get lesson plans, DVDs, posters, etc.

1 comment:

ABCDH said...

Very, very cool!