Saturday, December 30, 2006

Bedtime

I have to be honest. I dread bedtime. It's probably my least favorite time of day as a parent. Why you ask? Because it never runs as smoothly as I would like. First, there is the act of stalling. "Kids time to brush your teeth." No response. After about three more times of telling them to get going, they do. I try to put Olivia down during this time. If she crashes, it's a good night. Some nights she wants to cry, which keeps up the rest of the crew. I haven't even mentioned the "get out of bed to be with mom" routine. Or the excuses as to why they can't yet get into bed. Or the whining. Or the thirst and hunger. Or having to go potty. Or being scared.
As I began this, the kids were all tucked snugly into their beds. Now, Ryan is down here, Olivia is wandering around, and Kate has come down because her brother and sister are down here.

So I just put Olivia in her crib. She is now screaming. Ryan is mad because I won't let him sleep in Kate's bed (she shares with Olivia), and Kate is in the recliner with Thad.

I know what some of you are thinking...."and she says she wants more kids?!?!?" Hey, I love all this craziness!

2 comments:

Erin said...

Man, bedtime is exhausting for us moms and dads, isn't it? Did we cause this much chaos when we were kids? I don't remember. FYI...my boys fell asleep in the car on the way home tonight! I'm counting myself lucky.

Erin

Anonymous said...

We are right there with ya Bonnie... and we only have one that can talk! I can hardly wait to see if Evan's excuses are as creative as his sister's when he decides he's not tired.